Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympus E450 help

Re: Olympus E450 help

Quote Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
    OK I will mellow and also withdraw my criticism. Sorry if I made any out of place comment. Pity we do not seem to have a grovel smiley or I would use it

Actually it is very difficult to improve on an Oly superfine JPG even using raw so that exercise may take a little time Way back Wrotnia conducted a join exercise with a group of photographers to test just this point and the conclusion was that with great care you could do better with raw but it was not easy, the test will still be on his web site http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/news.html although he has stopped updating it.

Roger
    But it does seem to show you can get highlight improvement. Where I have found raw helps is with NR on low-light shots. Simply because there is more information per pixels and JPG compression can react badly with noise in a image IMHO.

The noise ceiling on the E450 is way better than my camera by more than a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by P_Stoddart View Post
    But it does seem to show you can get highlight improvement. Where I have found raw helps is with NR on low-light shots. Simply because there is more information per pixels and JPG compression can react badly with noise in a image IMHO.

The noise ceiling on the E450 is way better than my camera by more than a stop.
    It is certainly true that the E510, and by extension the E450, is rather prone to clipping
    highlights and I normally used to dial in some exposure compensation when the subject was likely to need detail rending in mainly white areas, apart from that I never courd really fault its performance in spite of some of the comparisons that were floating around the web

Talking of floating have you read the rumours a about the next Oly? if half of them are true it will be some camera.

Roger

It is certainly true that the E510, and by extension the E450, is rather prone to clipping
    highlights and I normally used to dial in some exposure compensation when the subject was likely to need detail rending in mainly white areas, apart from that I never courd really fault its performance in spite of some of the comparisons that were floating around the web

Talking of floating have you read the rumours a about the next Oly? if half of them are true it will be some camera.

Roger
    I usually shoot at - 0.7 of a stop for that reason

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    I usually shoot at - 0.7 of a stop for that reason
    That's what I do on my camera tend to underexpose because I know a raw lift can be done post shooting.

Same technique when shooting slide back in 80/90s.

Quote Originally Posted by P_Stoddart View Post
    That's what I do on my camera tend to underexpose because I know a raw lift can be done post shooting.

Same technique when shooting slide back in 80/90s.
    Extraordinary - everybody in agreement Is this a record?
    Roger

Smile OT: Olympus E450 help

I have done a web search on the OP and I think that this whole thread was just a wind up - pity really as it will make me much less willing to contribute to a help request in future

Roger
    May I remind, in general, forum members that it is best, if they feel any post is amiss, to 'report post'. Triangular icon, to the left, below the post. I thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/Amateur.photographer.magazine
    Like AP on Facebook!
    Have an enquiry re AP? Contact AP http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/contact/.
    For issues concerning the forum/site build please contact the Online Manager > here <