Thread: How too shoot pets

How too shoot pets

I don't mean literally at least not right now there are times when I think about a 12 bore.....

I've posted a couple of photos of my cats and everyone says "Go for the eyes"

But if I need a flash how do I do it without hurting their eyes or spooking them? In fact even without a flash how do I go for the eyes?

Re: How too shoot pets

Cats can be surprisingly tolerant of flash, either that or they are just too lazy to move! The flash can provide a catchlight in the eyes, or at the wrong angle a green reflection similar to red eye in humans. The focus point though needs to be on the eyes, regardless of flash use. I no longer have a cat living with me (you never really own a cat), but even the most timid of the three that have had no great objection to the flash, remember that at these close quarters the flash burst is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by LesleySM View Post
    In fact even without a flash how do I go for the eyes?
    Lesley - Aim the auto-focus point between the eyes and without releasing the half-press re-arrange your view if desired before firing the shutter.

I've rarely found flash shots work well with cats. Try window light or work outdoors with soft lighting if poss. Also work at their level - either get down to your cat or raise him/her to your level and focus on the eyes. Shooting downwards on a cat produces an unattractive image with a large head and rapidly diminishing perspective.

fredpop

I don't mean literally at least not right now there are times when I think about a 12 bore.....
    What about a crossbow? ;-)

I've posted a couple of photos of my cats and everyone says "Go for the eyes"

But if I need a flash how do I do it without hurting their eyes or spooking them? In fact even without a flash how do I go for the eyes?
    Same as children.

Get the position so that there is a reflection of a window or a light bulb visible in the subject's eye (the "catchlight"). Focus on that. You might find that tracking autofocus is useful as animals (and children) cannot be relied on to remain in one place, unless deceased or well dosed with sedative ;-)

If you have something like a dog training clicker available, if you can use that an instant before you take the picture, you will get the subject's attention and can therefore predict what direction they will be looking in.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

Try and change your position, shoot the animal from their level as most new people to photography shoot pets from above looking down, try different positions

i dont know if this is still relavent but i use a 70-300 lense, the lash isnt so much in their eyes that way, my cats and dog love the camera and will find me when i unzip the bag if you have a look at mu pictures there are a couple of my animals x

i think shooting pets is like shooting people head shots then go for the eyes but you would have to get low so an old blanket is useful for whole body shots then try for the eyes but make sure the head is in focus. unlike people i think a lot of patience is going to be required

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    ... unlike people i think a lot of patience is going to be required
    ....mmm I'm not convinced by that...
    David
    -----------------------------------------------
    We are here to learn.
    Some things are relevant, some aren't...just rejoice in the fact that at least you seem to have the choice to decide which is which.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spinno1001 http://www.flickr.com/photos/spinno1001