Thread: URGENT - Quick Decision Needed......

Hybrid View

URGENT - Quick Decision Needed......

We're about to go on holiday (next week) and I haven't decided which kit to take. Here's the details:

These are NOT up for debate:

Destination: SRI LANKA
    Itinerary: 8 day tour (guided) + 7 nights at a beach resort
    Preferred style of photography: Travel / Landscape, Street + Portraits (some candid)
    Medium: Film (B&W Fuji Neopan Pro 400CN / Colour Fuji Superia 400) - might take a few rolls of Agfa APX 100
    Tripod: Yes (lightweight carbon-fibre travel pod / ball head)
    Bag: Billingham 225
    Filters: Red / Orange / Yellow for B&W + Circular Polariser.

These are the OPTIONS I must decide upon:

Leica M6TTL + 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-M, 35mm Canon f2.8, 50mm f2 Summicron-M, 9cm Elmar f4
    OR
    Leica R3 Mot + 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-R, 50mm f2 Summicron-R, 90mm f2 Summicron-R

Which would you take? I must decide by Sunday evening 20/11 at the latest. I'm leaning towards the R3 kit as I can see all the image in the viewfinder but the light weight and compactness of the M6 is also very tempting for travel......

TimF is offline With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could have conjured up...

Re: URGENT - Quick Decision Needed......

Points in favour of the M would be that (i) it will still work if you run out of battery power

(ii) If the camera developed a fault you could probably get the M fixed whereas at this point in time the R3 might be a problem due to lack of spare parts (especially anything electronic). Some dealers I understand won't take that model because of that reason; it makes it difficult to give a firm guarantee. Your post in the R3 thread makes it clear you're very fond of the camera though.

(iii) You've already mentioned the size advantage; more so with the lenses. I'm not sure I'd want to cart two wides so close in focal length around (and might even lose the 50mm if I wanted to travel really light).
    Tim BSRIPN

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink

South and east of where I was but going west

Re: URGENT - Quick Decision Needed......

M kit might handle any rain and humidity better.

Do you have two M bodies? If so, take the M kit.

If not, agonising decision but ...
    ... as you have same lens range for both ...
    ... take the M kit!