Thread: Leica V-LUX 30 vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 - any difference?

Leica V-LUX 30 vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 - any difference?

Hi all,

First post :-)

Doing a 'compare camera specifications' on dpreview, the specs are the same for those two cameras - can anyone enlighten me as to what is the difference between them (if any, apart from brand and price)?
    Last edited by Themis; 12-06-2011 at 16:00. Reason: first post, unsure of formatting
    Kind regards
    ------------------
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/themis

TimF is offline With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could have conjured up...

Re: Leica V-LUX 30 vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 - any difference

The software you get is likely to be different. You'll get Pana's own brand with their version, and if as is usual these days possibly Lightroom with the Leica (which I think comes in the form of a code to get a free download).

I'd have to leave it to those in the know as to whether the in-camera programming is different at all. A previous comparison I saw of an earlier Leica and Pana had slight colour differences between the two; the same user, who owned both cameras and presumably did his PP the same for both... the Leica was a touch more naturalistic compared to the Pana, though it was only slight.

Finally, the Leica might have a better resale value at that end of the ownership period. Lord knows why, but that's the power of the red dot!
    Tim BSRIPN

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink

Thanks, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimF View Post
    The software you get is likely to be different. You'll get Pana's own brand with their version, and if as is usual these days possibly Lightroom with the Leica (which I think comes in the form of a code to get a free download).
    I should have mentioned: I'm not sure what the difference in cameras is, not the bundle :-)

I'd have to leave it to those in the know as to whether the in-camera programming is different at all. A previous comparison I saw of an earlier Leica and Pana had slight colour differences between the two; the same user, who owned both cameras and presumably did his PP the same for both... the Leica was a touch more naturalistic compared to the Pana, though it was only slight.
    The specs for that seem to be the same (same Venus engine, same version). I've seen a detailed review for the TZ20 (suggested on the dpreview site) and the image quality wasn't too good, with loss of detail even at normal ISO (100-400, forget about the higher ones!).

Finally, the Leica might have a better resale value at that end of the ownership period. Lord knows why, but that's the power of the red dot!
    :-) I'm a hoarder (so far), I don't resell my cameras (I only own compacts, so they don't take up much space!), so I'm looking to see whether the Leica is worth the extra money. Unfortunately, I can't find a site that would have reviewed both, side-by-side...
    Kind regards
    ------------------

TimF is offline With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could have conjured up...

I see you're in London, in which case you might like to have a look in any of the dealers (RG Lewis, Red Dot, Richard Caplan, or the Leica Store in Mayfair). Once they get stock in you might be able to stick a card in and try the Leica version out for yourself. The Pana version is another matter.
    Tim BSRIPN

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink

Many thanks for the great advice, Tim - much appreciated!
    Kind regards
    ------------------

Hi folks
    I had the same trouble choosing between my current D3 and it's then Pan equivalent.
    Leica/panasonic on these is a joint venture and all are assembled by Pan in Japan as far as I know. How many bits come from Leica Portugal is a mystery I don't care about, and I have no problem with Japanese production engineering.

But (you just knew it?) I heard a rumour that the lenses, whilst all the same design and glass, coatings and metalwork, are assembled by Panasonic for theirs under license (it says Leica on the lens so they must be happy with standards), but for the D3 itself, the lens is built (centring of elements, testing, adjusting for temperature variations etc) by Leica themselves.

As Leica charge extra to leave the red dot off their bespoke 'M' cameras, the extra 120 for mine on the D3 otherwise seems exorbitant.

As for resale of any compact, even with original packaging, expensive cow case, discs and manuals, will never get more than a couple of hundred in part exchange; I would guess that a perfect four year old Panasonic might be 50 less than mine at most, and neither will top 250 to p/ex (hopeful, even).

Saying that, the D3 lens is generally lauded as a cracker (for a zoom) and I would not bin mine unless I broke it......... love it to bits and I am an MP slide user normally.