Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying bird song?

Smile Help identifying bird song?

For the third morning running I have been woken up at 4:45am thinking someone was pushing a wheelbarrow with a dry,squeaky wheel around my garden - only to realise it is a happy little bird singing its head off in the tree outside my bedroom window in the first light of morning.

The same time each morning, who needs a digital alarm clock - this high pitched call is impossible to sleep through - and being 100% natural, living birdsong there is no snooze or mute button.

As it is too dark to see - any ideas please what bird is making this early morning call which sounds like a dry, squeaky wheel?

TimF is offline With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could have conjured up...

Re: Help identifying bird song?

It'd be nice if you could grab a recording. The description is kinda ringing a bell in my brain but as yet I can't pin it down.
    Tim BSRIPN

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink

The RSPB website has lists of birds commonly seen in the UK, and under each species there's a tab for listening to their call.

It might pay off if you check out the most likely suspects, but could take a long time if the species you're hearing is a rarity.....

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rhody247 View Post
    For the third morning running I have been woken up ... - only to realise it is a happy little bird singing its head off in the tree outside my bedroom window in the first light of morning. ...
    I'm now quite deaf, and don't have my hearing aid in when sleeping, and now easily sleep through the phone ringing; but I have been awakened like you by bird song, and have taken my recorder outside to make quite good recordings, and with very little traffic noise.
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyknight View Post
    The RSPB website has lists of birds commonly seen in the UK, and under each species there's a tab for listening to their call.

It might pay off if you check out the most likely suspects, but could take a long time if the species you're hearing is a rarity.....

Good luck!
    This is a very good idea.
    Start your search with the grasshopper warbler http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/g/grasshopperwarbler/index.aspx, quite a rarity, I'm very jealous if it is!

More likely is a sedge warbler http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/sedgewarbler/index.aspx; or maybe a whitethroat http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/w/whitethroat/index.aspx, although its song is a bit more melodious; good luck with the search.

Being in a garden and at that time in the morning it's more likely to be a blackbird, a thrush or a wren I would have thought but without a recording it's really dificult to say.
    Cheers

David

but I have been awakened like you by bird song, and have taken my recorder outside to make quite good recordings,
    A shotgun would be far more effective.
    Brian BSRIPN

Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone - very much appreciated.

I tried the direct links to the RSPB web Jacqui thank you, but it is much harsher and penetrating than any of those you kindly suggested.

It really is an irritating, impossible to sleep through piercing noise - which grates perfectly on the senses.
    A real treat to have to listen to at 4:45am :-(

It would make a very good sound effect for an alarm clock - you would have to shut it off or it would drive you mad.

I'll see if I can record it tomorrow morning if it goes for its 4th consecutive, "let's celebrate the first rays of dawn" performance.

I still want to know what it is though now - it's made me very curious indeed.

Could be a great tit or a chiffchaff - they both make a noise that sounds like someone filing a bit of tin, which isn't far off your description.

Adrian
    All part of the fun of extreme vintage photography

You'll be amazed at the carp I've posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/

Or it could be a starling, they are great impersonators of noises and come out with all sorts of sound effects!
    - Fenris Oswin - Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
    - My website - http://www.fenrisoswin.com
    - My flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenoswin/sets/

Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise - Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by gray1720 View Post
    Could be a great tit or a chiffchaff - they both make a noise that sounds like someone filing a bit of tin, which isn't far off your description.

Adrian
    Filing a bit of tin - that is such a good description of it. Mind jarringly irritating and impossible to sleep through or ignore.

I'll check out the RSPB web site later for bird calls. Thanks very much.

Thanks for the starlings being great impersonators Fen - ingenious little beggars aren't they?

Very many thanks everyone.

Grey1720 nailed it in one - the culprit is unquestionably a Great Tit.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...tit/index.aspx

Having listened to the superb RSPB recording, my Tit must be singing with a regional "Pompey" accent as it is very coarse, harsh and irritating and it repeats the first few bars of the RSPB recording over and over and over with none of the melodic bits the RSPB have managed to record at all.

Can birds have regional accents? The feathered equivalent to Estuary English? LOL

Thanks again everyone - problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by rhody247 View Post
    Grey1720 nailed it in one - the culprit is unquestionably a Great Tit.
    Always happy to handle queries involving tits!
    All part of the fun of extreme vintage photography

You'll be amazed at the carp I've posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/

What happens when the RSPB recording is played back to the bird?

Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post
    I know a couple of photographers who have a small selection of bird calls recorded on their mobiles (water rail, little grebe, great crested grebe, and a few others....). Playing them back sparingly in early spring does actually attract the real life corresponding species.

Quote Originally Posted by gray1720 View Post
    Always happy to handle queries involving tits!
    Post of the year so far
    LesleySM: "Nah guess we're JNFAPF (just normal for APforums)"

Every thyme won doesn't right something write online, pedants weep another tier. Its knot fare on them, sum wander weather its they're fete too bee affected buy it oar if they'll ever fined piece, but knot to worry pedants, eye no you're pane, and ewe can wrest easy at knight with me: Its plane two sea aye am an exemplary speller.

Ca
    nikonypenlympmix user

From the now very politically incorrect Benny Hill show (I think)

"Tits like coconuts (pause) and sparrows like breadcrumbs"

I blame grey1720 for making me recall that old joke........................

Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post
    Judging by the volume of my little tit at 4:45am, he is the lonely alpha male calling far and wide at the top of his voice for a mate

In perfect keeping with his previous appearances, my little,tin filing tit is singing his head off again today at 4:48am.

He is more accurate with his timekeeping and harder to ignore than my bedside alarm clock :-)

I know it wouldn't be very kind on the little chap, but why not play one of the birds of prey at it? It may recognise one of the harriers, perhaps with a printed silhouette of the bird of prey blu-tacked to the window, and shut his gob? Or if you could find a distress call of its own species you could dupe it into thinking there was a bit of trouble afoot and it'd scarper.
    LesleySM: "Nah guess we're JNFAPF (just normal for APforums)"

Every thyme won doesn't right something write online, pedants weep another tier. Its knot fare on them, sum wander weather its they're fete too bee affected buy it oar if they'll ever fined piece, but knot to worry pedants, eye no you're pane, and ewe can wrest easy at knight with me: Its plane two sea aye am an exemplary speller.

Ca
    nikonypenlympmix user