Thread: B. Film Camera - Bronica ETRS and ETRSi

B. Film Camera - Bronica ETRS and ETRSi

In recent years I have enjoyed the possession of a couple of Bronica 645 bodies, an ETRS and an ETRSi. For the newbies around, these cameras take 15 shots on a roll of 120 film, each negative measuring approximately 6x4.5 cms. For those who prefer square format, Bronica also made a slightly larger version of this camera that takes 12 6x6 negatives.

The Bronica is a single lens reflex system camera whose format is copied from the Hasselblad. It's a bit like a Lego camera, you build it up from a set of building blocks to suit the situation. The main body of the camera houses the mirror mechanism, the lenses all have their own Seiko shutters which are electrically controlled from the body. There are separate cassettes or backs for conventional film or Polaroid, and you can change backs mid way through a film. You also get a choice of viewfinder, a waist level finder or a pentaprism for eye level viewing. At least two varieties of metered prism finder exist, one with just centre weighted metering and the other with both that and spot metering.

The lens mounted shutters are flash synhronised up to the maximum speed of 1/500th second.

The ETRS body is more robustly made than the ETRSi which incorporates more plastic components, but the ETRSi does have a mirror lock up feature.

What's it like to use?

The lenses are excellent. I don't have exotic glass to compare them with in this format, but I have tested them against my aged Rolleicord with a Schneider Xenar. The Bronica Zenzanon is streets better until you reach f11 when it is similar but still ahead, and it's not until you reach f16 when the results become indistinguishable.

Beware however that the Seiko shutters do cause problems from time to time - and this is not limited to Bronica cameras, much more expensive marques also suffer. Buying secondhand you are best off with a guarantee, or at the very least, the ability to put a couple of films through before parting with your cash as shutter repairs are expensive.

Light leaks around the dark slide slot of the film back are a common fault, but easy to fix.

The cameras are about as ergonomic as a house brick. They are heavy to carry and horrible to hold. The view finders are OK however, the waist level finder is a tad brighter than the prism, but not anything like as convenient, particularly for vertical format shooting.

If you want to use the mirror lock up you need to have degree in film photography, while how many people have changed the film back and forgotten to wind on, or attempted to take a once in lifetime shot with the dark slide in place?

The long and flexible cable release that operates successfully with my Pentax cameras will not budge the Bronica shutter. A much shorter and stiffer bit of kit is needed.

In short this is no point and shoot happy snap camera. It is a serious tool intended for dedicated professionals and ridiculously keen amateurs such as myself.

Did I mention that the camera only works at one speed if the battery is flat, a user friendly 1/500th! I once lugged my Bronica kit (three lenses, three backs, a body and two viewfinders) up the hillside at Whitby and beyond only to discover that the battery was flat. It does keep you fit.

In a strange way I do enjoy using the Bronica, the results can be technically superb, while it is challenging, to say the least.

Here are a couple of shots: -

Tree http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanattewell/1823757738/in/set-72157605778886205/

Church http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanattewell/1823038543/in/set-72157605778886205/

Re: B. Film Camera - Bronica ETRS and ETRSi

Thank you for that review! It's killed off any idea I had about buying into the Bronica ETRS system and left me enjoying my Mamiya C220 system (2 bodies, 5 lenses) which if anything are more difficult, heavier, older and less fashionable but nonetheless satisfying.
    Nick

TimF is offline With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could have conjured up...

Despite what is said above, the Bronica is a perfectly acceptable professional tool. Anastasia Taylor-Lind http://www.anastasiataylorlind.com took a Bronny to Iraqi Kurdistan I believe.

The marque had, until recently at least, long been a mainstay of students breaking into the medium format arena.
    Tim BSRIPN

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink

Despite what is said above, the Bronica is a perfectly acceptable professional tool. <a href="www.anastasiataylorlind.com" target="_blank">Anastasia Taylor-Lind</a> took a Bronny to Iraqi Kurdistan I believe.

The marque had, until recently at least, long been a mainstay of students breaking into the medium format arena.
    Indeed, and it was probably the choice of the semi-professional wedding photographer prior to the likes of the Canon 5D. There's no denying that it can take super photos, but, compared to a 35mm film, or D SLR it is relatively difficult to master, and there is a certain attraction in that. I suspect that the Hasselblad and Rollei equivalents were similar in terms of usage.

Remembering your point about 15 exposures/film yesterday, I mentioned this to a vendor of what looked like a fair priced externally mint ETRSi at the Potters Bar camera fair yesterday. He assured me it took 16 on, so I left it with him.
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

Remembering your point about 15 exposures/film yesterday, I mentioned this to a vendor of what looked like a fair priced externally mint ETRSi at the Potters Bar camera fair yesterday. He assured me it took 16 on, so I left it with him.
    I thought 6x4.5 did take 16 shots on 120? 6x6 is 12 on 120 and 6x7 is 10 on 120
    Unless bronnies are different?
    BSRIPN (Officially full of it..)

6x4.5 is 16 on 120 if the camera allows you to wind on using the numbers on the backing paper, but the relative un-sophistication of some of the "auto" wind-on mechanisms of MF bodies is that they limit themselves to 15 on.
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

6x4.5 is 16 on 120 if the camera allows you to wind on using the numbers on the backing paper, but the relative un-sophistication of some of the "auto" wind-on mechanisms of MF bodies is that they limit themselves to 15 on.
    The Mamiya 645 is limited to 15 exposures on a roll of 120, or 30 on 220.
    Nigel CRIPN and Bar

Beware of the Dark Slide

15 it is, with big gaps between the negatives

Yes, but 16 would be a very tight squeeze I think.
    Nigel CRIPN and Bar

Beware of the Dark Slide

Yes, but 16 would be a very tight squeeze I think.
    The Rolleicord or Rolleiflex T 16-on kit manages it, as the name suggests.

My Mamiya M645 doesn't, though.
    Nick

"Photography is lies" - Bailey
    "Few artists are much more than halfway sane" - Roger Hicks

The Blog is (coming) back http://www.nbrphoto.net/blog/