Thread: Opton Lenses

Opton Lenses

Merry Christmas everybody.

As if I had nothing better to do, done an e-bay search on lens' for my alpha. Have come across a lens made by a company called Opton.
    Does anyone know how good or bad these lens' are?

The link is here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500-1000-1600mm-Lens-for-Sony-Alpha-A100-A700-Minolta_W0QQitemZ290193576199QQihZ019QQcategoryZ3342QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    CRIPN. Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

www.flickr.com/photos/mrsony/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsony/

Re: Opton Lenses

Opton used to be a name used on Zeiss lenses many years ago but I reckon that this lens has been nowhere near a Zeiss factory. A lens of that length with that sort of price tag should give you a clue about quality. Remember that it's also a manual focus lens with manual aperture setting as well. It's slow at f8 so it's really a 'use with tripod lens' and the 2x extender is an extra cost option.

It's the sort of lens we all buy at some stage, use it a few times and learn from the experience before selling it off cheap to somebody else who wants the Earth for nothing.
    <font color="#004d83">Lounge Lizard

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    Winston Churchill

Well, f/8 is kind of slow for a 500mm lens. Preset diaphragm and lack of autofocus is a big downer, too. Stick a x2 teleconverter on it and it becomes f/16 - that will give you a seriously dark viewfinder, I don't think you will find it at all easy to focus.

This looks like the kind of lens that was sold around 1970. The design probably hasn't advanced much, either, so I'd be astonished if the image quality is up to much.

If you want a 500mm lens and are only prepared to pay around 100, a good used Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 500mm f/8 mirror lens plus the required adapter should cost about the same, the image quality will likely be better (except for the doughnut out-of-focus highlights which all mirror lenses suffer from), it will be lighter and consume a lot less space in your kit bag and/or storage shelf, and if you decide you don't like it the Tamron should at least keep its value in the secondhand market.

Serious modern autofocus 500 mm tele lenses, or zoom lenses including 500mm settings, do of course tend to be rather expensive.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

Thanks for reply

Wasn't going to buy it. It was just that I'd never heard of the make before.

I'll carry on with my Sigmas and Minolta lens until I can afford a 'G' lens from Sony.
    CRIPN. Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

www.flickr.com/photos/mrsony/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsony/