Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 76.00%
  • No

6 24.00%

Thread: Bridge Camera Batteries

Bridge Camera Batteries

Do you think its about time that camera manufacturers started using Lithion batteries instead of AA`s in them?

Re: Bridge Camera Batteries

No.

Because you can buy replacement (rechargeable or not) AA's just about anywhere in the world.
    - Fenris Oswin - Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
    - My website - http://www.fenrisoswin.com
    - My flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenoswin/sets/

Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise - Margaret Atwood

I thought I would ask because the Fuji S9600 (according to the manual) only takes 70 pics with a full set of 4 AA Alkaline.

I have bought one of these for my wife last week but use Rechargables instead...

Nowt wrong with decent rechargeables. True, with a bridge type camera the battery use is higher than on a SLR type camera, what with the silly EVF and reliance on power for virtually everything, but as Fen said, you can get AAs anywhere in the world, plus you can charge them anywhere quite simply, and they are cheap (per set) compared to proprietry type batteries.

AA's in compacts and bridge cameras are fine, stay well clear of normal alkalines (they won't last a day), put some decent rechargeable nimhs in or better still 2 AA lithiums and you'll be fine for hundreds of shots;

My H2 takes just 2 AA batteries, and with lith's fitted I can easily take 400+ shots, review shots, use the flash, IF illuminator & zoom till the cows come home, if a lithion was fitted you might gain extra life but you'd lose what a bridge camera is all about; flexibility, you can buy AA's globally, lithions are camera specific and have to be recharged meaning leads/cables,etc.

I have a different take on this.

Many people only use their camera occasionally, my wife is one, unless the rechargeables are the latest NiMH with very low drain they will often be dead when the camera is wanted. Lithiums last much longer, stay charged longer and the best type (Info Lithium) will accurately show how much time is remaining to the minute.

I have the same requirement at the school where I work. Cameras (dozens of them) are left in drawers and need to be working at a moments notice. No way am I setting up a regime of endlessly recharging batteries only for them to self discharge over a short period and likely be flat when the camera is needed.

Cameras with info-lithiums batteries work well for me in these situations.
    Rog

Say you go on a school trip/holiday with the cameras for a week, the chances are that most of the cameras will be half discharged (thru useage etc)before you set off.

My better half works in a playgroup and uses a Fuji f10 (lithion battery), as you say battery life is great, however unless it's charged when you go off on a trip there is a very good chance that the camera will run out of juice before returning home (speaking from experience), if a AA camera runs out of juice you can buy batteries from anywhere, Spare lithion are'nt widely avialable and besides is carrying a spare one that realstic for a small compact ?.

Say you go on a school trip/holiday with the cameras for a week, the chances are that most of the cameras will be half discharged (thru useage etc)before you set off.
    Quite possibly but they are not used for those occasions.

I'm saying what actually works and has worked for some time. It's not hypothetical - it's real experience. Different situations would need different solutions. I was just pointing out that the AA route is not necessarily the best for all users or all circumstances
    Rog

AA is just a battery format - it doesn't specify the technology. Cameras that take "AA" batteries may give you the choice of zinc carbon (do they still exist? - would be pretty useless for cameras), alkaline or lithium disposables, or nickel cadmium (obsolescent) or various forms of nickel metal hydride rechargeable (including the new Sanyo Eneloop / Uniross Hybrio low self discharge types). Some "AA" cameras also take the CRV-3 format lithium, in disposable and rechargeable forms.

Cameras that take proprietary batteries limit you to just that one form of battery, in some cases only available from the orginal camera manufacturer (and sometimes not even then for old models).

I would be reluctant to buy any camera that didn't take AA format batteries (though that rather limits my choice of dSLRs to the Pentax K100 )

Mine does take Lith-ion.
    David.