Thread: Camera for on safari for a beginner

Camera for on safari for a beginner

Hello, I am a beginner to serious photography (currently I have Sony compact, previously a good old Olympus OM10).
    I am on holiday soon on safari, and would appreciate any thoughts as to a suitable beginners camera? Ideally I would prefer a compact, rather than SLR, for size reasons but I would rather get something right for the holiday. The requirements are something simple to use, ideally including a good all-round lens (for fast moving animals and potentially mixed light), and less than 500. I am happy buying second hand, if that keeps the cost down. Thanks.

Re: Camera for on safari for a beginner

Probably one of the so called "bridge" cameras would best meet your needs. Something like a Canon S5, Sony H9 or Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ8 - there are others.

Good zoom range, relatively compact and well under your budget which would leave plenty over for memory cards and a case which would be essential when travelling.
    Rog

Where are you staying - will you be able to charge your camera? If not battery life will, needless to say, be crucial. You'll also need twice as much storage capacity as you think you think you want.

You will also want the longest zoom that you can get. Looking at the reviews for bridge cameras it seems to be that they are either better wide or better long, you sadly don't seem to get both. If it's one or the other then go for the long lens, you'll get much more use out of it.
    Carrie

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (George Bernard Shaw)

Wonderful World Photography by Carol Bond http://www.carolbond.co.uk

I travel in Africa and India quite often taking most of my pictures with a SLR but recently felt the need for a light-weight back-up with a long zoom , I ,after much research bought the Panasonic Z80 . A lovely camera with a good anti- vibration system which could be useful when shooting from a safari vehicle.

Canon Powershot S3 IS.

Has IS, 12x optical zoom (36432mm), goes down to f2.7. Flip screen LCD, 6MP, ISO 80-800, shutter 151/3200. Takes AA batteries so no recharge problem.

Can't fault it.

(Ctrl A > Ctrl C )