Thread: Where to get 35mm film developed?

Where to get 35mm film developed?

Hi, I've just got my self a Nikon F-601 and used my first film with it(ISO 400). My question is where should I get it developed? Does it make much difference from Jessops/Kilck/Boots etc.

I apologise if this is a daft first question but I'm just starting to take photography more seriously and the film has basically test photos of the same subject under different conditions. Previously I've just used the cheapest/most convenient but if there's a noticeable difference I'd go for the better quality.

Thanks in advance.

Lally

PS I hope NB stands for newbie and not Nota Bene!
    Nikon F-601

Re: Where to get 35mm film developed?

If your prints are just 6x4 shouldn't make too much difference where you get them developed. Our Tescos is convenient, just drop the film off before you do your shopping and it's normally ready when you've finished.

Anything much larger than 6x4 I would send to Peak Processing or Transpacolor.
    Master of the Bench and Global Ambassador of the Brotherhood of the Bench
    Bench http://www.flickr.com/photos/bench_ubbster/ or No Bench http://www.flickr.com/photos/chubbster/

Brilliant thanks, yes they're going to be 6x4 for now. At least until I get more familiar with my camera and its settings.

Thanks again

Lally
    Nikon F-601

If you use a lot of film 7dayshop and similar outlets offer large savings over buying single films from high street outlets.

I send mine to Peak Imaging. They provide great results.
    Meredith Lewis

http://www.meredithlewis.co.uk http://www.meredithlewis.co.uk

I used Tesco today but in the future I'll be a bit more patient and send them off to Peak or Transpacolor.

Thanks for the input guys, very much appreciated.

Lally
    Nikon F-601

If you really want to see what your camera can do, you could have hours of fun setting up a darkroom, although I'd start with B&W. You can get top flight equipment amazingly cheaply these days on the used market and you will probably get a huge quality gain and a lot of pleasure.
    David.

I have to say 7day arent always the cheapest and I find its best to "shop around" on the net and trawl through APs ads for film prices. Mathers and others often beat other retailers once you've weighed up delivery costs and bulk.

I did get a load of film really well priced last year from Robert Whites though always make sure you understand what you're ordering and if theres VAT to add.

As for normal colour films, say anything from superia or kodak gold pretty much anywhere is good enough to develop it. I've used all the local labs bar snappy snaps. If you get the feeling the staff dont know what they're doing then certainly dont use them, and I've in the past chatted to the staff beforehand to make sure.

Peak Imaging are my faves, though I usually get the negs/trannies scanned at home and printed locally.

If you really want to see what your camera can do, you could have hours of fun setting up a darkroom, although I'd start with B&W. You can get top flight equipment amazingly cheaply these days on the used market and you will probably get a huge quality gain and a lot of pleasure.
    I'd love to develop my own film but sadly lack the room for it at the moment... although there's a dark room at work I wonder if they'd mind me taking it over

Lally
    Nikon F-601

I'd love to develop my own film but sadly lack the room for it at the moment... although there's a dark room at work I wonder if they'd mind me taking it over

You can try. In fact, though, you need very little room. You don't need a darkroom at all to develop film and just a few square meters that you can temporarily black out to print it.
    David.

Yolu only need a changing bag and a sink to dev film, no space at all.

If you want to print you can use your bathroom if you can black it out.

(Ctrl A > Ctrl C )

My question is where should I get it developed?
    i was also going to say tesco, as they do it more or less overnight, i live 100 yds away from tesco, and they're cheaper than boots. BUT, if asda was local to me i would use them, as on the odd occaision i have used them they are better than tescos.the colour more vibrant, and i prefer the semi-matt finish, (less fingermarks) KLICK are also good but quite expensive. you could try sending the films off to TRUPRINT, i have found them to be pretty good in the past, plus you get a free replacement film. ok its a truprint film, but if you pay an extra 50p, they upgrade it to kodak. good luck,
    http:/www.flickr.com/photos/zeldaboo/

ASDA, you can get 7x5 done there and still have change from the Jessops price.
    Al

[Insert clever comment here]