Thread: Robust camera for kids and idiots?!

Robust camera for kids and idiots?!

I work in a residential unit for children aged 10-13, and I am looking to buy a camera that can be used by the kids, and by staff, most of whom know very little about photography. Therefore it needs to be simple and robust.

Ideally it would be nice to get one with a short shutter lag as well, as it would be used for lots of action shots. Oh, and the moon on a stick as well, please!

Can anyone point me in the direction of any good models? My budget is not yet set, but will probably be in the sub-£200 region.

Thanks!

Re: Robust camera for kids and idiots?!

I take it by the way you said short shutter lag that you're looking for a digital? If you give us some more information on how the camera's going to be used I'm sure one of the bods on here will point you in the right direction.
    Tom
    CRIPN

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail!"

Yes, sorry, I did mean digital.

It will be used for the children to take photos of the things that are important to them, so some photos of artwork and so on, and for children and staff to photograph activities and trips, so lots of outdoor pictures.

So really, a kind of family camera, that can stand up to a reasonable amount of use.

I'm not sure what other information would help, if there is anything specific, I'll do my best.

Best all round value dc at the mo is the Casio Z120 (£149) – I have heard tales of them being dropped down mountain sides – however, a long strap put round the neck of all users should increase the life of the dc

The camera has very little shutter lag and can be turned off as well – Note: for fast action shooting with any digicam, if you set the mode dial to ‘infinity’ and keep the lens at it’s widest opening (no zoom), then there is no shutter lag and images will be sharp from around 3 feet out!

<span style="color:red">Click for demo... </span> http://www.exilim.co.uk/exilimzoom/exz120/

<span style="color:red">Buy through Amazon (Pixmania)... </span> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AYDQNO/qid%3D1142944934/202-5125612-8802248

Chris …have fun!

We have a "fleet" of about a dozen Canon IXUS 40 digitals at work. They get used daily by Highway Inspectors. They get dropped, trod on and generally mistreated. They've proved very reliable!

if the 40 is anything like my V2 then they'll be tough little blighters! I can't count how many knocks and site visits my V2 has survived. The only thing it didn't survive was my evil laser
    I did read the rules?

http://gallery.meh.me.uk/ http://gallery.meh.me.uk/

Thanks all for your help, it's opened up some ideas I hadn't come across before. Just have to steer clear of evil lasers

I had a Casio QV-R4 4mp camera. It didn't have much shutter lag and I can vouch for it's reliability. I'd suggest you have a few test shots in the local camera store before you buy (Once you have narrowed down to a few models).

Probably a compact with a prime lens, they are less likely to break.
    Al

[Insert clever comment here]

If you want to save some money try going for a 2mp second hand camera. These can be picked up fairly cheaply and will still give quality 6x4 prints no problem. You'll then be able to gauge how robust a new camera would need to be.