Thread: Sigma flash on Nikon D70

Sigma flash on Nikon D70

Hi Guys
    I have recently used what is supposed to be a fully compatable Sigma Flashgun on my Nikon D70, but the images are completely burnt out.
    It is the Sigma EF-500 DG ST NA - iTTL and the lens I was using at the time was the older trombone type 80-200 2.8 Af lens.
    Everything was on auto, so how come it didnt read the light right? I then removed that flash and used my integrated flash, which, apart from the redeye, did a good job. Can you help?

Re: Sigma flash on Nikon D70

Make sure the wide angle diffuser is not in the down position, if you are using an ordinary lens. This can seriously confuse the metering.
    Marcus

Would the dedicated Nikon speedlight have the same problem?
    Thanks for your reply by the way

LOL! I'm going down the LCE tomorrow to try that unit out. If it burns out and doesnt work with the iTTL I may just keep saving Or drag my bowens around on a trolley

well let me know how you get on! I am going to take my D70 and the sigma flash to the local camera shop and experiment there with it and try the Nikon sb600 or 800 too.
    Will let you know how I get on!

Have a look at the thread I wrote about flash (also in Nikon chat), there are some good fellas on these forums who have helped me out a great deal, you might find an answer there.

They are (in my opinion, anyway) the ones with the knowledge, and they gave me a few good pointers. Mostly on models though... http://www.amateurphotographer.com/f.../page/0#269907 http://www.amateurphotographer.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/269907/an/0/page/0#269907

I doubt you will need to upgrade to the 800 or 600, though a few people have told me how much they like them. It may be that the iTTL doesnt intergrate as well? You may have to do it manually, I had to do this with a very old flash I'd been using for my D70.

Hi again,
    I am only an amateur, but occassionally get a commission with equestrian photography in which case I have to work very fast (the horses dont wait for me!). I really need a unit which reads the light/situation, gives me fill in flash, but no red eye and doesnt need intervention from me.
    It will be interesting when I have time, to go to the local camera shop and test the Nikon SB600 or 800 next to the Sigma I have got (I was given it as a pressie (yeah, I know, very lucky me) hence didnt try it before purchase)

Hi again!

Just curious, but the horses arent scared of the flash are they?

Yeah I'd say you were lucky to get given the flash, I'm dead jealous I look at the nikon sb600, sadly no batteries were in there, but from what I've now read they are quite good at saving you the hassle. The LCE I saw it in (I get great advice from those guys btw) said they dont have much call for sigma flash units.

If you're a member of a camera club maybe they could help? otherwise its just good old fashioned fiddling to learn it better I would be inclined, with horses on the track, to set to ISO 800-1600 outdoors, and set to shutter priority and a fast shutter speed. I would imagine you could get away with apertures 5.6 to 8 and manually try and focus on the horses or jockeys eyes.

During the summer, obviously, you can use a lower ISO. I suppose the flash can only add to the picture

A horse can be scared of flash, but in the situations I have used it in, there hasnt been a problem. I am experienced with horses and so can avoid situations where I think a horse may be scared.
    Funnily enough, horses have green eye as opposed to red eye!
    I took photos for a charity race in the dusk last weekend and did whack the iso up to 1600 which worked, but the images were very grainy. Then put the flashgun on for the winners enclosure, but after seeing the results, took it off and used the integrated flash which was better, but I got the dreaded red eye. However, with a bit of manipulation in Photoshop elements, I was able to improve the images and it was good enough for the local newspaper.
    So you didnt get to try the Sigma flash nor the SB600 in the end?
    I have looked on the www.7dayshop.com http://www.7dayshop.com site and they sell both the SB600 and 800 much cheaper than the rrp elsewhere. 249 for the sb800 inc vat! 176 for the 600.
    Have you decided what you are going to buy?
    Thanks for your replies btw

See the "Doh, I do have money, stupid" thread in the lounge, someone gave me a link to an SB600 that was 155 with free P+P. I dont know much about 7day.

I think I'm going to go for the sb600, I was going to buy one today, but after a stressful day at work decided to just go home instead Mind you, if I leave it till thursday (I get paid weekly) I can get some prints done in the mean time, and a couple of rolls of film developed