Thread: D800 'not recommended'

D800 'not recommended'

Was thinking of going for a D800 but am taken aback by Thom Hogan's changed review of yesterday – now 'not recommended' due to the left AF sensor issue. Given the generally high regard for his views this is somewhat offputting, to put it mildly.
    George

Re: D800 'not recommended'

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeIII View Post
    Was thinking of going for a D800 but am taken aback by Thom Hogan's changed review of yesterday – now 'not recommended' due to the left AF sensor issue. Given the generally high regard for his views this is somewhat offputting, to put it mildly.
    George
    If, like many users, you only use the centre AF point, there is no issue and it is still a superb camera. IF you expect to make extensive use of the left AF sensor then you might want to reconsider. Personally, I would wait until Nikon sort the problem out but then I am not looking for an upgrade.

George
    Nikon NPS has a fix for this .. http://nikonrumors.com/2012/07/17/co...px/#more-42238

I would expect Nikon to fix it shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianSadlier View Post
    Nikon NPS has a fix for this .. http://nikonrumors.com/2012/07/17/co...px/#more-42238

I would expect Nikon to fix it shortly.
    Seems a QC problem. But there is a error in the story. It is not written into ROM. That is Read Only Memory.

That sort of chip is now not used because it requires the data to be burn in the chip factory once.

Even PC motherboards now use flash memory for the BIOS. Before that alot used EEPROM.

So the new data is just written to a protected area (factory only access) of the flash memory firmware of the camera.

Arrow Re: D800 'not recommended'

I've done quiet a few tests with my D800 and haven't found a problem.

Perhaps it's just a batch of them?
    - Fenris Oswin - Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
    - My website - http://www.fenrisoswin.com
    - My flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenoswin/sets/

Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise - Margaret Atwood

I think Nikon said it only affected specific serial number ranges, though not everyone believed them!

As the D800 and D800E have been selling so well, it's highly likely one bought now from a reputable dealer will be from a recent batch. If you can find one at all!

You could also confirm with them that you can return it if has the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
    I think Nikon said it only affected specific serial number ranges, though not everyone believed them!
    As far as I'm aware Nikon haven't said anything and that's what Thom is complaining about. I had an D800 body with the fault and I sent it back. The replacement also had the fault plus another AF issue which meant that even with the centre point, around 15% of the time the camera wouldnt focus properly ( I don't mean it was a little off, I mean it was seriously crazily wrong ) so I sent that back too.

I would have kept the first one but when I contacted Nikon they denied there was any issue and when I cited some known experts they said they "didn't read internet reports". If they had said there was an issue but they had a fix then I'd have happily sent it in and waited for them to fix it. But they didn't.

This "fix" people keep talking about is one camera being sorted and it has spread all over the internet. Maybe Nikon do have a fix. I surely hope they do, but their denial of any issue at all just increases anxiety and suspicion. There are lots of reports of people sending them back numerous times and only having the issue partially resolved. I don't know how accurate these reports are but Nikon really needs to stand up and be honest here.

Anyway, due to their current state of denial I've decided to keep my money in my pocket for the time being until I feel confident that the AF system works.

As to recent batches, the last body I had was from last week so there you go !!

Shame because when I used Live View to focus or when I used the centre or right sided AF points in the first body I had, the results were absolutely wonderful. I'm sure it will get sorted in due course, and when it does I will bite their hand off for this camera

Willie
    Willie

"Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important. "

Henri Cartier-Bresson

There are a few internet sages, we know who they are, who present their opinions as being cast iron fact. It is just a matter of whether you hang onto their every word, or use your own judgement on these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by willie45 View Post
    I've decided to keep my money in my pocket for the time being until I feel confident that the AF system works.
    Willie
    In light of the expense involved I've decided to follow suit.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by nimbus View Post
    There are a few internet sages, we know who they are, who present their opinions as being cast iron fact.
    We do know who they are, and Thom Hogan is not one of them

Willie
    Willie

"Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important. "

Henri Cartier-Bresson

Yowza ..... don't tell that to people in or going to
    Vancouver that
    See my post from today.

Cheers,

Jack
    Life is a Photo-op

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: Street Photography Documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0

(UPDATED NOV 16th)MY BLOG: www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com http://www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com