1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Amateur Photographer

Horse - 46pts, First place

Lee Jeffries, Greater Manchester Canon EOS 5D, 85mm, 1/3200sec at f/4, ISO 100 Lee was on his way to Whaley Bridge to see a client for work, and to get there from Stockport he had to go into the Peaks. 'There is an old country road that cuts across a farm and sits right at the top of the hills,' he says. ' You can see for miles around, and I noticed this horse on the horizon. The light was beautiful and soft, and filtered through quite thick clouds.' Lee pulled over and rested his camera on a stone wall and shot three frames. 'The key was the luminosity of the light from the clouds, so in Lightroom I knocked down the exposure and then dodged back for atmosphere in Photoshop. I knew I could pull back on the exposure because the atmosphere I wanted didn't need detail in the foreground or the subject.' Judges say, 'We're hesitant to call any image 'perfect', but it's hard to find any flaws with this picture. Lee's silhouette is crisp, the light falling in just the right place to isolate the animal amid the darkness. This is a remarkable feat.'

Horse - 46pts, First place
Amateur Photographer, Apr 12, 2011