1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Fulvio2

GreatgrandpaPLANE

Later in the war R Barry Martyn commanded 22 squadron. He was always a keen photographer, and reconnaissance was the single most useful thing these planes could do.

GreatgrandpaPLANE
Fulvio2, Mar 18, 2018
    • Fulvio2
      At the beginning of the war, British planes had a cross on the back, but they were changed to roundels as the French kept shooting them down. My grandmother had the cross of my grandfather's plane as a fire-guard behind glass.

A problem with allies. I once interviewed some WW1 veterans in 1988, including those on the retreat from Mons right at the beginning of the war. One confessed shooting at French cuirassiers, absurdly wearing red breeches and blue coats and breast-plates. He thought they were Germans. His great fear at that time were Uhlans – astonishing in the 1980s I could meet a man who had such clear memories of being chased by Prussian lancers. The echoes of Waterloo were abandoned after the first few blood baths.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Royal Flying Corps
    Uploaded By:
    Fulvio2
    Date:
    Mar 18, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    69.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    576px
    Height:
    777px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).