1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Amateur Photographer

Damselfly - 38pts, First place

Savo Ilic, London Nikon D60, 18-55mm, 1/200sec at f/13, ISO 200 Savo, a videographer and keen wildlife photographer, had tried for several days to get a good shot of a damselfly. 'They mate in June, which is when I took this, so there were lots of them flying about,' says Savo. 'I tried several times, but either the light or the composition was wrong.' Finally, one sunny day, Savo spotted this large red damselfly resting on a leaf in his garden and immediately saw the potential for a striking image. 'When I saw the silhouette and the large eyes peeking over the top, I knew it was going to be the perfect picture,' he says. Judges say 'Where many photographers would opt for the standard view of the insect's body, Savo looked for a more unusual image. His patience and careful consideration of how he wanted to show his subject have created a more dynamic composition and an unusual picture.'

Damselfly - 38pts, First place
Amateur Photographer, May 10, 2011