1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Amateur Photographer

Cat - 43pts, Second place

Sean Slevin, Co Wexford, Ireland Canon EOS 500D, 28mm, 1/200sec at f/1.8 For his Walk on the Wild Side entry, Sean says he had a lot of sea and garden bird shots that he considered sending in, but ultimately he wanted something that would make the viewer question what's going on. This led him to his cat and the mystery of what it gets up to. 'I had the idea of a cat in an urban setting, but when I noticed the light coming in through the shed door it was just a case of setting up the camera and calling the cat for breakfast,' Sean says. 'I used a shutter speed of 1/200sec to show a little movement and boosted the contrast in Photoshop. The tiled floor also helped create depth.' Judges say, 'Sean's intended mysterious effect works quite well. The high contrast of the cat stepping in from the brightly lit exterior into such a dark room is very striking, and the low perspective helps us see this scene as the cat saw it.'

Cat - 43pts, Second place
Amateur Photographer, Apr 12, 2011