1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Amateur Photographer

Cart - 44pts, First place

Mani Puthuran, North Humberside Canon EOS 20D, 17-40mm Mani, who finished third in the last round, took this shot in Kerala, India. ‘It was a setup,' says Mani. ‘I first tried taking the picture with a fully loaded cart, but unfortunately because of the weight of the cart my subject could not pull it fast enough. So I hired a cart and lots of sacks, and filled them up with balloons, which made the cart easier for the subject to pull. I then sat in the boot of a car with the door open and instructed the driver to drive at the same speed of the cart. Finally, after several attempts, I got the shot.' Later, Mani converted the image to a 6x7cm slide. Judges say 'Mani has put a tremendous amount of effort into making this image, and every bit of it shows. The viewer can feel the rush of the moment, while the lighting is tremendous and reveals the intensity of the subject's face as he races with the cart. This is a superb image.'

Cart - 44pts, First place
Amateur Photographer, May 11, 2011