1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Normal access will be restored as soon as is possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Piotr Slusarczyk

Canale Grande, Venice

Two horizontal shots merged together

Canale Grande, Venice
Piotr Slusarczyk, Jul 7, 2018
    • Chester AP
      What focal length lens were you using? Looks like a 20 mm or 24 mm.
      Also, have you used some software to process the colours? I thought you had used a polarising filter, but this might kill the reflections of the buildings on the surface of the canal.

Were you able to explore very early in the morning?
      Just after dawn is often the best time to take pictures in Venice, especially in St Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco).

Did you notice the gondola on the left is being used for a making a video, with what appears to be professional equipment? It is 10 years since I was in Venice, so perhaps this is a new service offered to visitors.
    • Piotr Slusarczyk
      @Chester AP
      Very well spotted. I have only noticed this after your comment :) It does look like a proper video camera indeed...
      For post processing I used Machinery HDR but I tried to keep processing to a minimum
      The lens was Tamron 24-70 at 24mm. Polariser was used which I guess may not always work for panoramas due to wider field of view.
      Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to wonder around Venice at dawn or dusk. I hope to go there back outside of busy period and stay for few days as it's a beautiful place
    • Chester AP
      Once you go wider than 16-18 mm (or 11-13 mm on my APC-C camera body) with a polarising filter, you will find the effect uneven across the width of the image. I use a circular neutral density graduated filter instead on my Sigma 10-20 (equivalent to 15-30 on your camera body), which darkens the sky evenly whatever the position of the sun.

I have an image on my AP reader gallery called 'St Mark's at dawn' taken with an 18-250 zoom at 18 mm (equivalent to 27 mm on your camera body) at about 7.00 am in October. I only had the one lens on that trip, but I had managed to get a tripod in my suitcase for the 1/2 second exposure. Some work has been done to correct the barrel distortion on the image.

If you go again, try to stay in a small hotel near the centre for one or two nights and then go out early or late to avoid the crowds.
    • Piotr Slusarczyk
      I tried to correct that distortion but gondola with filming crew became ugly stretched so I decided to leave it that way. I'm actually quite upset how bad is new Tamron 24-70 when it comes to distortion at 24mm... After some online resarch I found out that it disappears at 25 mm so I have to try it next time
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Reader Gallery
    Uploaded By:
    Piotr Slusarczyk
    Date:
    Jul 7, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    890.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1800px
    Height:
    672px
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D610

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).