1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Helander

Callanish Standing Stones, Isle of Lewis

Callanish Standing Stones, Isle of Lewis
Helander, Jul 14, 2014
    • Catriona
      Now there's a familiar sight! I didn't think to use my own views of it. Haha! Familiarity and all that.Nicely done. When were you here?Kate
    • Helander
      Hi, thought you'd recognise that scene. Was there for 9 days wild camping in the VW bus. Got back last Friday. First visit for us and the whole island blew us both away. Skye is stunning but Lewis is in another league if coastal shots are your thing. Took nearly 400 shots and have at least 25-30 possible keepers which is a good return for me. Highlights were the Butt of Lewis lighthouse, got a couple of stunning shots from up there. Loved the rugged coastline and big waves crashing up the cliff faces and sea stacks. Dail Mor beach was another highlight, we spent a lot of time there. When we first arrived the waves were huge. Many surfers had gathered to take advantage so the craic was good during the day and night. I have to say, the locals are superb too. Of all the places we've visited in Scotland they are the most welcoming people of all......loved it and will be back. Wild camping was great wherever we went. The good people of Lewis provide clean toilet facilities and drinking water at all the locations we stayed at, something you don't get on the mainland. In fact, free camping is positively frowned upon on the mainland. The forecast wasn't great for the week we were there which suits me for moody angry skies but it turned out to be a scorcher of a week, one night we had the whole beach to ourselves. Didn't get on so well in Harris. Was hoping for moody action in the mountains but only got blue skies. I'm not complaining because it was nice to be in the sun. We didn't stay long and soon made our way back to Dail Mor for a couple more nights. The Callanish shot was tricky. We were there at the wrong time of day when it was busy. It wasn't big on my to photograph list but still wanted to have a bash so went for long exposure to remove the people. Returned a couple of times for sunset when it was quieter but it's the wrong time of year for a sunset or sunrise shot. Cheers
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Monthly Forum Competition - July 2014
    Uploaded By:
    Helander
    Date:
    Jul 14, 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: